Andrew Fleck Child Care Services

Our History

Discover our history through our book ``A Local Success Story - Celebrating 100 years``.

ANNOTATED HISTORY

1911

A day nursery was started by Settlement House at 318 Rideau Street to provide day care for children of working mothers; this was supplemented by an employment bureau that organized day work for the mothers.

1913

The two rooms of the Settlement House had become so crowded that the Nursery was forced to relocate at 459 Besserer Street. 

1916

Settlement House Day Nursery separated from Settlement House and moved to 87 Albert Street.

1920

Settlement House Day Nursery was incorporated as the Ottawa Day Nursery Inc.

1923

Three free clinics were opened for mothers and children who could not obtain treatment at city hospitals. The clinics were to operate for 25 years

1932

The building at 195 George Street (site of the current Pre-school Day Care Program) was built and donated by Mrs. A.W. Fleck in memory of her husband. The building came to be known as the Andrew Fleck Memorial.

1933

The Community Chest assumed the main financial responsibility for the operation of the day nursery.

1951

A cost-sharing arrangement between the Community Chest, the city and the province was set up under the Day Nurseries Act.

1967

A Before-and-After-School Program for children up to nine years of age, and a half-day Headstart Program, were started at the Annex at 185 George Street -a building rented from the City of Ottawa.

1968

Country Bound, a summer day camp based in Gatineau Hills, was inaugurated. It provides a day camp experience for school-aged children enrolled in the agency’s child care program.

1969

Family Day Care demonstration project was initiated, with financial support from the Department of Health and Welfare

1970

Ottawa Day Nurseries changed its operating name to Andrew Fleck Child Centre, in keeping with the growing and changing nature of the services it provided to the community.

1972

The Headstart program in the Annex was phased out when a similar program was set up nearby by the Regional Municipality.

1973

The Before-and-After-School program at the Annex was converted into a kindergarten program for children attending half-day kindergarten in the area.

1982

Child Care Information program created

1984

Family day care was extended to full-fee parents

1986

Family Day Care opened a second office at Heron Road Multi-service Centre. It provides a range of child care services, including playgroups, a toy lending library and parent/provider seminars.

1987

Short Term Child Care Program was developed in response to the need of working parents for short-term and emergency child care for both healthy and mildly ill children. A Board composed of representatives from three child care organizations, including the Andrew Fleck Child Centre, governs the Program.

1990

Employee Child Care Assistance Project was launched with funding from Health Canada. The service assists employers and organizations to meet the work, family and child care needs of working parents.

1991

AFCCS was approached by the Ministry of Community and Social Services to operate the Children’s Integration Support Services (CISS), a new service which supports the integration of children with special needs in licensed child care and nursery school programs. CISS also assumed responsibility for three segregated preschool programs.

The agency’s new name became Andrew Fleck Child Care Services.

The administrative office was moved to 294 Montreal Road.

1992

The segregated nursery school at John Butler Centre was closed

1993

Short Term Child Care Program closed its office; however, it continued to seek new sources of funding to replace its pilot project grant from the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

The building at 195 George Street underwent major renovation with grants from the Ministry of Community and Social Services, the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton and the City of Ottawa.

1994

Renovations at 195 George Street were completed on schedule despite a fire in February. The day care program moved back into the building in August.                        

Work and Family Partnerships Program (formerly the Employee Child Care Assistance Program) was expanded and restructured.                        

Putman Segregated Nursery School closed in September; its funding was transferred to the Children’s Integration Support Services.

1995

Home Child Care South Branch office and Family Resource Centre moved from the Heron Road Multi-service Centre to the Cornerstone Children’s Centre at 2330 Don Reid Drive.                                              

The Toy Lending Library was expanded to include large equipment rental, and toys and equipment for children with special needs, school-aged children, as well as infants, toddlers and preschoolers.                        

The play-yard at George Street was renovated.                        

Country Bound’ summer camp was expanded to two home bases in order to accommodate the increase in camp enrollment.                        

Short Term Child Care Program resumed its services with support from a consortium of public- and private-sector organizations.

1996

Administration, Home Child Care East Office, Children’s Integration Support Services, Child Care Information, and Work and Family Partnerships Program consolidated and moved to 700 Industrial Avenue. 

Cumberland Hub Segregated Nursery School closed; its funding was transferred to the Children’s Integration Support Services.                        

The ‘Campership Program’ was introduced for the children of home child care providers.

1997/98

The Annex building, 185 George Street, was purchased from the City of Ottawa.

1998

AFCCS received official French Language Designation for two of its programs  -   Child Care Information and Children’s Integration Support Services.                        

A Before and After School Program was started at Riverview Alternative School.                       

Child Care Connect’ was developed; it is a database for child care, with AFCCS holding the license for the software.                        

The Group Program at George Street was converted from an age-segregated to a multi-age service; a child-centred emerging curriculum model was implemented.                        

The research report, Emergency Child Care: Its Impact, Practice and Innovation  -  A Canadian Story, was released..

1999

Child care responsibilities and management were downloaded from the province to the regional government. 

Funding for Children’s Integration Support Services, Child Care Information and Family Resource Centre was downloaded from the Ministry of Community and Social Services to the Region of Ottawa-Carleton. 

Short Term Child Care ceased to be a separate corporation and became a program of Andrew Fleck Child Care Service on November 1, 1999. 

Four Programs – Short Term Child Care, Child Care Information, Family Resource Centre, and Work and Family Partnerships – restructured to operate under one umbrella, Family Support Services.

2000

Child Care Information was selected to develop and manage a Francophone Centralized Waiting List for all the francophone child care programs in the City of Ottawa.

2001

“Innovative Child Care Practices for Children At Risk: Argentine and Canadian NGOs Learning Together” received three year funding from CIDA to assist Argentina to improve the quality of child care and protection; AFCCS is one of the sponsoring organizations for the project.

Short Term Child Care received funding from the City of Ottawa to provide respite child care at the five Women’s Shelter in Ottawa.

Work and Family Partnerships Program changed name to Child Care Consulting Services

2002

AFCCS was selected and funded by the Provincial Government to operate an Ontario Early Years Centre in Ottawa South.

Thursday’s Child Nursery School became a program of AFCCS as of August 1, 2002 

The pilot project, “Home Child Care Training and Accreditation Initiative” received two-year funding from the Province to research, develop and test an accreditation system for home child care providers in Ontario. AFCCS is one of the partner agencies and a demonstration site for the project. 

CCI developed and managed the “Speaker’s Bureau” for all seven Early Years Centres in Ottawa.

2003

The legal name of the organization was officially changed from The Ottawa Day Nursery to Andrew Fleck Child Care Services (AFCCS). 

Children’s Integration Support Services launched its behaviour management manual “Intervene Before Reacting: A Positive Integrated Approach to Behaviour in the Child Care Environment”

2004

A three-prong fundraising campaign was undertaken to raise money for the redevelopment of the play-yard at George Street                        

Play-yard at 195 George Street underwent major redevelopment                                         

A Facilities Study of 185 George Street was completed 

Governance restructuring was completed. Changes to the Corporation By-laws were approved.                                                

AFCCS logo was up-dated. 

2005

AFCCS Position Paper on Early Learning and Child Care was developed

2006

Child Care Information was mandated by the City of Ottawa to manage a Centralized Waiting List for all the licensed child care centres and home child care programs in the city.

A Kindergarten and School Age Program for 50 children started at the Stittsville Public School

2007

The Annex Building at 185 George Street was demolished and construction began for a new purpose designed building with major capital funding from the City of Ottawa.

The AFCCS web site was updated and revamped.

2008

The new building at 185 George Street was completed in September; it accommodates a toddler and preschool program for 334 children.

2009

Riverview Kindergarten offers care to 20 children

2010

CISS contracted to offer support to the Catholic French School Board for Petit pas à trois                        

OEYC playgroup launched at Marius Barbeau School             

Restructuring at George Street allowed for implementation of new non-contact time so educators could complete child portfolio and meet with parents.

2011

CISS Module Training

Celebration of AFCCS 100th anniversary with the publication of a bilingual book “Andrew Fleck Child Care Services – A Local Success Story – Celebrating 100 Years” by Valerie Knowles

2012

On November 1, Andrew Fleck Child Care Services welcomed Carleton Heights Child Care Centre (CHCCC) as one of our group sites.                          

In June, the Ontario Ministry of Education presented a paper on “Modernizing Child Care in Ontario”.  AFCCS prepared a comprehensive response to Minister Broten as well as a summary into five specific areas – available on our web site

 2013

Foundation of our Memorial building at 195 George Street was repaired, once again.                        

Our Stittsville program, which opened in 2006, expanded to also offer a Preschool program. 

CISS Resource Catalogue is now available through the agency website.                       

Guidebook to support the College of Early Childhood Educators Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice was developed for all AFCCS staff                       

New partnership was developed with Vanier Community Service Centre to become the Ottawa South “Pod” for the Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY) program.